Sunday, October 30, 2016

Field Trip Responses

     The Daniel P. Thomas Material Recovery Facility showed me what happens to our materials after we recycle them. My favorite part of the trip was the room with the recycled art. Most of the furniture in the room, such as the benches we were sitting on, was beautifully decorated with recycled materials. I liked hearing how the tour guide got into this field of work. I find it interesting that he is also a firefighter; I think the two fields are well intertwined.  I wonder how much overlap he finds between his two jobs. The facility was very organized in the way they sorted each item by material. I was amazed at how large the quantities of recycled items were. It was somehow quite aesthetically pleasing to see the large piles of recycled materials. 
     The second part of the field trip, the Westchester wastewater treatment plant, gave me an appreciation for all the hard work put in to making our water safe and clean to drink. One thing that stuck out to me was the large stream of wastewater outside, where I could actually see the garbage accumulated from people. I saw a bunch of  half eaten corn on the cobs floating in the water; it is interesting to see where all our waste goes. Seeing burning methane is not something I see everyday, and was also a memorable part of the trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment