Monday, September 26, 2016

How to Look at a Culvert Reflection

My favorite quote from this article is "Culverts are hidden injuries; the roads may look fine, but the culverts are evidence of what has been done to the landscape". This is such a beautiful metaphor. This article is a reminder of how sometimes some of the most ignored parts of infrastructure are the most important. Culverts are like scars to remind the environment of its past, and are usually only seen if they are being specifically looked for. This reminds me of Ingrid Burrington's article on Invisible Infrastructure, as well as the project Invisible-5. I, myself, have not personally explored or even think I've seen a culvert, but the description in this article of Elkins exploring a large one as a child has inspired me to do the same next time I am near one.

No comments:

Post a Comment